[05.09.2024] New content, AnKing-MCAT/AnKingMed, ID 1466921

View Suggestion on AnkiHub

@Michael_B, I like the note and find it useful. I’d like to hear your thoughts as to how necessary as an update, though.

We had a previous suggestion about the same. I asked that author about if they can provide resources UWorld, AAMC Qs, etc) that you require knowledge of this added info. I vaguely remember an AAMC question about where transitional epithelia could be found in the body. Been so long so I can’t confirm. Do you happen to remember anything like that @Brian_BH ?

Man, I got nothing on that one. I searched UWorld and my own cards. I can’t say I recall ever seeing any info in any of my prep materials on transitional epithelial cells at all. I’m no dermatology ace, but that’s not anything I can pin down sadly.

@fohanc Our litmus test for adding details is “is this info necessary to get a question right?” With that said, it’s helpful to have references/sources that point to this being the case when additions aren’t obviously needed content for the MCAT. Are there any resources (UWorld, AAMC Qs, etc) that you could reference requiring knowledge of transitional epithelia varying in shape & depending on how stretched a given organ is?

Nope, no sources. I just wanted to add some kind of description for it that distinguishes it from its sister cards (I think that’s what they’re called). In that case, you can just emphasize that it ‘varies’ and cut out the rest that comes after.

Sounds good, I’ve merged it with the suggested edits. Thanks @fohanc!

1 Like

I did some digging and found the AAMC B/B Section Bank’s question 46 to ask to identify which of a few options is epithelial tissue. This is related but not specific to transitional epithelia but it does indicate that a question about where transitional epithelia is found could be asked; so, I’ve edited the card to add this in & included your explanation about how the shape varies by the degree of stretching of the organ they line

It helps with a conceptual understanding of why transitional epithelia would be in places like the bladder

2 Likes