Ankihub add-on causes lagginess and freezing

The Ankihub add-on has been causing considerable lagginess when reviewing cards, sometimes getting to the point of cards freezing on the screen despite pressing spacebar. The lagginess is somewhat alleviated by switching graphics drivers from Direct3d (default for me) to OpenGL, but it’s still just not smooth. Any tips to fix, or are any fixes coming in upcoming updates?

@abdo.nh @Ahmed7 could this be due to the high res images as well?

If its freezing the screen then thats not the issue i believe

Are you on windows or mac? What anki version are you running?

Running windows, anki version 23.10. I had the latest version as of ~2 months ago, but had to downgrade because the freezing/lagging was even worse on that version.

Is this happening on every card? For example, does it happen if there is an image in extra vs no image in extra?

1 Like

How did you confirm this is caused by AnkiHub? Can you disable the add-on for a while and see if the issue persists?

When I run the default graphics setting, it does not happen on every card, but I don’t see a clear pattern on image / no image.

When I run the alternative video driver, there is no complete freezing of cards, but everything is slowed down. For instance:
Click on a deck >> lag time before the “study now” option shows up
Press spacebar while studying >> lag time before back of card shows

It affects everything, not just cards with large images.

I have not done that, but I strongly suspect Ankihub because when I use a different Anki profile (on same computer) with no Ankihub decks, everything runs smoothly. The difference is night and day. I will disable Ankihub on main profile and see what happens.

This used to happen to me. Do you have a MacBook?

For me, it was because I installed the M1 version of Anki (even though I used to have an M1 MacBook). So i tried installing the intel version for Mac, and that fixed it immediately (everything was super slow and laggy just like what you said and it turned blazing fast when changing to intel)

I actually have a Dell PC running windows. Would you suggest that I try installing a different version of Anki?

Yes, you can try that.

Also, when your Anki is open and it starts lagging, can you check your PC’s task manager and see how much RAM its taking up / CPU usage?

Did this used to happen before?

This has happened for a few months now- never happened previously.

Not seeing anything out of the ordinary on task manager while lagging: about 500mb of memory (no more than when the app is idle/minimized) and negligible CPU use.

This is a known graphics issue in Anki 23.10+. The AnkiHub add-on or AnkiHub decks could make it more likely to occur but ultimately it’s somehow out of our control.