Ankihub removing copyrighted images? If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Hi there!

So I am the dedicated medical illustrator who has been pretty busy replacing a lot of the images that we cannot find good replacements for. I totally understand the frustration. I’ve been pretty hard at work constantly re-drawing images in all my free time, even during my sub-i right now.

But I also want to highlight that the true benefit of having a dedicated illustrator is that I can modify some of these suggestions in real time – and make them tailored to the exact card! I have a lot of experience with graphic design and medical illustration, but of course since I’m trying to push these images as fast as possible, I really do appreciate the feedback so I can come back later and tighten up the images. It’s one thing to make the images “pretty”, and another to be in study mode where you want to get thru the cards as fast as possible. It’s a balance, and why graphic design, especially medical illustration, is much harder than it looks! You don’t notice when something is good, but it’s so easy to tell when something is off. But that is my job, and I really do need your guy’s help to point out some of the improvements, especially when I feel like I’m trying to constantly put out small fires and replace some of the more contentious figures and letting go of other images that could be improved but maybe could wait.

These set of images I realize after-the-fact that we should probably forgo some of the realism and focus on more of a cartoon-ish drawing. I have modified the style, angle, and arrows of these figures. Of course, this whole process is going to take a while, but there have been quite a few hundred cards already with figures I have replaced. Thank you for the feedback in the brain artery drawings. I have updated to improve the contrast pasted below.

4 Likes

Also to allude to another commenter about the Brodmann areas – you really do not need to learn the Brodmann numbers. Take it from someone who not only has a PhD in neuroscience, but who actually has published papers specifically on brain atlases, and the development of gross anatomical labeling starting with the Brodmann atlas in 1909, to the Talairach atlases in the 1960s to 1970s, to the current 30-ish “standard” atlases neuroanatomists, neuroscientists, and clinicians use. In fact, neurologists will just say the gyrus. No one in their right mind will say Brodmann area 3, and certainly not any of the step or board exams!!!

Maybe really old clinicians or researchers, but most of us have moved into a new era of neuroanatomy.

2 Likes

But also the overall point about many of the neuroscience cards are overkill still stands, as @TheAnKing said. For some reason, a lot of the cards have been contentious too. I suspect because it’s really difficult (and just quite unfortunate) to find actually good, copyright-free images of neuro drawings since it’s already pretty hard to draw neuroanatomy to begin with. Fortunately I am also a content expert in this area too, and have amassed a lot of 3D and 2D assets of brain structures (micro and gross) over the years. In fact, all of the gross brain images uses a 3D reconstruction of my own brain from a 3T MRI I got a few years ago! I can slice it and highlight specific structures at my will with some of the skills in neuroimaging I gained during my research years.

I will try to make some of the weaker replacements stronger. On the flip side too, some things can wait as I alluded to above, and I have been turning my attention to the other sections with more pressing figures (like cardiology and renal)

3 Likes