Optional tags not syncing complete to client

Issue:
A new optional tag group for AnKing Overhaul for Step 1 & 2 knows as Unified_Tags was released which covers around 34.5k cards, the upload was (probably) successful, however the clients of the optional tagging are receiving different number of these tags which is certainly less than what was uploaded. I had 8.6k missing, Aaron had 11k missing, Cameron had tags to 7.7k cards missing.

To reproduce the issue:
Go to AnKing Overhaul for Step 1 & 2, click on manage optional tags, select Unified_Tags, save changes. Go to anki and do a sync to ankihub, it will download changes but the cards tagged under this will be different. Actual missing should be only 206 cards (those have not been tagged).

Edit: Meanwhile during my attempt at troubleshooting I deleted the tags and now Iā€™m not able to download the tags back. I tried selection/ deselection but it did not work.

1 Like

@developers Iā€™ve seen one or two similar posts

I donā€™t know yet why not all optional tags got downloaded, but to download the tags again you can go to the Anki browser, open the AnkiHub menu, and select Reset an Optional Tag Group. Then choose your optional tag group and confirm.

Please check if optional tags are still missing after doing that. Then please upload your logs (main Anki window ā†’ AnkiHub ā†’ Help ā†’ Upload logs). This will help us to find the cause of the issue.

Thank you for your response, I followed your steps and now have the tags back, however this time I was missing tags to almost 10k cards. I tried again and it showed me an error with the following debug info:
Anki 2.1.60 (76d88073) Python 3.9.15 Qt 6.4.2 PyQt 6.4.0
Platform: Windows-10-10.0.19045
Flags: frz=True ao=True sv=3
Add-ons, last update check: 2023-05-27 17:56:46

Traceback (most recent call last):

File ā€œaqt.taskmanā€, line 122, in _on_closures_pending

File ā€œaqt.taskmanā€, line 71, in

File ā€œaqt.taskmanā€, line 90, in wrapped_done

File ā€œC:\Users\Sameem\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons21\1322529746\gui\browser.pyā€, line 445, in on_done
future.result()

File ā€œconcurrent.futures._baseā€, line 439, in result

File ā€œconcurrent.futures._baseā€, line 391, in __get_result

File ā€œconcurrent.futures.threadā€, line 58, in run

File ā€œC:\Users\Sameem\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons21\1322529746\gui\browser.pyā€, line 453, in
task=lambda: _reset_optional_tag_group(extension_id=extension_id),

File ā€œC:\Users\Sameem\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons21\1322529746\gui\browser.pyā€, line 462, in _reset_optional_tag_group
_remove_optional_tags_of_extension(extension_config)

File ā€œC:\Users\Sameem\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons21\1322529746\gui\browser.pyā€, line 481, in _remove_optional_tags_of_extension
aqt.mw.col.tags.bulk_remove(note_ids=nids, tags=" ".join(tags_for_tag_group))

File ā€œanki.tagsā€, line 67, in bulk_remove

File ā€œanki._backend_generatedā€, line 1477, in remove_note_tags

File ā€œanki._backendā€, line 156, in _run_command

anki.errors.InvalidInput:

Compiled regex exceeds size limit of 10485760 bytes.

Here are the logs: ankihub_addon_logs_103c1_1685191544.log

Did another run from scratch, removed tags from ankiweb as well as my from my anki, then did a ā€œreset an optional tag groupā€ removing the tags completely. Then I subscribed again from ankiweb and did a sync from the addon, this time having 9.6k tags missing, here is the log file: ankihub_addon_logs_103c1_1685192621.log

I also attempted this. I originally had 27,842 cards within the tag group; then I deleted those, synced with AnkiWeb, and reset that optional tag group; the syncing dialogue said that it made ~28734 note customizations, and when I checked the tag it only successfully tagged 25,777 cards this time around.

If it helps, I attempted the same thing with a smaller optional tag group I maintain (UKYCOM) and dropped from ~13,990 cards tagged under the UKYCOM parent tag (the appropriate amount) ā†’ 9,298 cards

(I am Cameron as referenced in the original post, originally had 7,643 cards missing tags)

1 Like

We are tracking this and will follow up here when weā€™re able to plan on fixing this.

Added needs-dev-team and removed to-do

@Sameem and @Cameron, Iā€™m happy to communicate that we investigated this issue thoroughly this week and a fix for it is already underway so it doesnā€™t happen with any other optional tag groups in the future. :slight_smile:

Meanwhile, the existing tag groups, including the Unified_Tags you mentioned are already good to go - all optional tags are syncing properly now!

4 Likes

@Sameem regarding this error, this is another known issue that we will soon investigate and develop a fix for it. For now, you can delete your AnkiHub_Optional::Unified_Tags manually before clicking Reset an Optional Tag Group as a workaround for this.

1 Like