Optional tags not syncing in Anki browser

Classmate of mine subscribed to an optional tag group on AnkiHub, when he synced with ankihub on the desktop app all of the ankihub updates came through but no optional tag groups appeared.
Here is a photo of the Ankihub sidebar tag:

There are no optional tags synced.
We troubleshooted in the following ways:

1. Update anki to 2.1.65, quit and reopen -didn’t work.
  2. Reset optional tags group - did not work
  3. download Anking notetype add-on and update notetypes- did not work
    There were no error messages and ankihub seemed to sync properly in every other way.

Could not think of any other quick troubleshooting strategies. So wanted to see if anybody had any ideas.
Thanks in advance @developers

Did you also try unsubscribing from the optional tag and resubscribing?

Is the optional tag not present even when scrolling down to the bottom of the tags in the browser?

Similar problem here, optional tag is not present anywhere after similar steps:

Don’t see any of the three optional tag groups I’m subscribed to there, including no general optional tag groups.

Can you to browser, ankihub addon, reset local changes?

Tried that! Unfortunately didn’t work

I’m guessing you also tried unsubscribing to the optional tag and resubscribing?

I did, unfortunately did not work either

@developers 3 users are reporting issues with optional tags, is there anything I’m missing?

Added needs-dev-team

I will report back after my classmate tries to unsubscribe and resubscribe. Thanks for your help Ahmed. Been looking to see if there were any conflicts with other add-ons or any settings that need to be changed, so far no add-on conflicts I’ve found.

2 Likes

Does the AnkiHub_Optional item under Tags appear if you disable the add-on? If not, this most likely means that there are simply no notes that have optional tags.

1 Like

This is because the optional tag groups you are subscribed to don’t have any tags yet. See VandyMed (AnKing Overhaul for Step 1 & 2) for example. Once the optional tag group has some tags they will get downloaded during sync and will also appear in the Anki browser sidebar.

See this section in the docs (mainly the video) to see how to add tags to the optional tag group:

This process of adding optional tags could definitely be made more intuitive, but once you follow the instructions in the video everything should work.

1 Like

Which optional tag group is this about? You can check if the optional tag group has any tags on the AnkiHub website by going to My Decks → Optional Tags → Subscribed → Select the tag group.

This is about my optional tag group, The Albany-Med tag. It has 25k+ cards within it.

Hi @taylordugan! I just subscribed to your optional tag group and managed to download it in my anki app.

Could you please check with your classmates that are having this problem if they subscribed to the optional tag group like this?

At the anking deck details page, click “…” then “manage optional tags”

In the pop up that appears, search for your optional tag group, check the checkbox (1) and click save (2)

Go to the anki app and sync. The optional tag group should start downloading.

2 Likes

As a follow-up, I added cards to the tag ankihub_optional::deckname. I’m now seeing ankihub_optional in both ankihub and in the tags at the bottom.

However, when i check online (ever after doing ankihub sync and anki sync), there are no cards.

Additionally, when I go to suggest optional tags, the name of the optional tag (which matches the one I created online for the deck) has this message saying the deck extension does not exist and to create one on Ankihub.

Hi Heitorado, The classmate having issues did exactly this when they subscribed. The optional tag group is not appearing anywhere. And we have tried to trouble shoot in a few different ways to no avail.

Do you have any suggestions for trouble shooting that we may not have already tried?

@taylordugan what is the username of your classmate?

Hello I’m having the same issue here. The optional tags for Midwestern_CCOM are not syncing to my account. I am unable to see the optional tag from my browse page. I tried following the instructions above but it has not worked. Please help.

Hi,

I’ve had several classmates have the same issue at random using the IronMed tag and I haven’t been able to find a concrete way of fixing it. Any new advice?