Missing cards after new sync

I updated to V12 a year ago, but because I constantly update my cards with new clozes I did a sort of one and done thing where I paid for a month, updated my deck, and then stopped. I decided it was time to update again being a year later and after seeing a card I liked about the pars interarticularis that a friend had and I did not, so I resubscribed.

I tried a few ways to save my edits while updating ankihub, one of them didnā€™t work and all my cards were overwritten, so I restored my deck to a previous backup. Then I added all my cards that I edited to a protected tag and tried to update again. (This method isnā€™t ideal because then I miss out on any updates to the cards I edited, but I want to keep my edits and havenā€™t found a better way). This worked and I have my cards back. For example, to an anking card about Rett syndrome I added a cloze about head growth deceleration to the same card, if I update the deck it deletes that cloze but adds updates, if I protect the card under my tag, no deletion, but also no updates. (Let me know if there is a better way to do this to keep my edits but get new updates.)

ANYWAY I did all that and after restoring my backup and trying to sync with ankihub again with the new protected fields I am missing newly added cards (for example card ID: 1517249605896), and all new edits/updates. Basically my deck is exactly the same. Every time I go to sync it says there are no new updates, but clearly there are since there are cards I am missing in my deck that are on ankihub. I have version 2.1.64 Q6, have tried logging in and out, restarting anki, unsubscribing and resubscribing to the deck. But each time I sync there are no updates for me. I even did the reset all local changes to a deck thing from browse, this got me the new cards, but overwrote even my protected cards for some reason (i read that it is not supposed to do this) so I restored from my backup with all my edits again. Iā€™ve spent hours on this today and would really like a solution.
Thanks for reading this long question, I would appreciate any help you can give!

I recently tried a few ways to save my edits while updating ankihub, one of them didnā€™t work so I restored my deck to a previous backup. Then I added all my cards that I edited to a protected tag and tried to update again. (This method isnā€™t ideal because then I miss out on any updates to the cards I edited, but I want to keep my edits and havenā€™t found a better way). This worked and I have my cards back. For example, to an anking card about Rett syndrome I added a cloze about head growth deceleration to the same card, if I update the deck it deletes that cloze but adds updates, if I protect the card under my tag, no deletion, but also no updates. (Let me know if there is a better way to do this to keep my edits but get new updates.) ANYWAY I did all that and after restoring my backup and trying to sync with ankihub again I am missing newly added cards (for example card ID: 1517249605896) Everytime I go to sync it says there are no new updates, but clearly there are since there are cards I am missing in my deck that are on ankihub.
Thanks for reading this long question, I would appreciate any help you can give!

Hello,

What tag are you adding to your cards to protect them?

Are you adding the AnkiHub_Protect tag? or rather doing the right click ā†’ ankihub protect? (found here: šŸ” Protecting Fields and Tags)

1 Like

oh I just made my own tag and added it to protected tags in Ankihub, I didnā€™t want to go through each card, so I just searched added:350 and tagged all the new cards I added/ added new clozes to to my own tag.

You must use one of the AnkiHub_Protect ones.

Protecting a tag on ankihub will only protect that tag from showing up when you suggest. It does not protect the content of the card from being overwritten

Using AnkiHub_Protect::Text for example will protect that text field for that card and any card you add it too

1 Like

Ok, so if I protect my cards then I can reset all local changes and it should keep my protected cards? Or what should I do after using the ankihub protected tag?

Yes, if you add that tag to every card you want protected. Everything will stay the same for those cards you protected even after resetting local changes